Dwaine M. Massey, founder of Massey Law Firm PLLC, represents plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of cases including serious personal injury, consumer, commercial, construction and corporate-governance cases.
Having tried more than 25 cases to verdict, nearly all as lead counsel, he is an experienced trial lawyer. Some of his recent, significant or noteworthy cases can be found under results. Massey has handled hundreds of other cases resolving most through summary disposition or favorable settlement.
Prior to forming the firm, he spent three years with a successful litigation boutique involved in high stakes commercial litigation, generally for the plaintiff. While there, he worked on numerous commercial and business litigation cases, including class actions, securities and RICO matters for individual and corporate clients.
Starting his legal career with a large national firm, Massey represented both plaintiffs and defendants in complex business and serious personal injury litigation. While there, he represented some of the firm’s major health care, accounting, insurance and oil and gas industry clients on both sides of the docket.
Before law school, Massey worked as a Certified Public Accountant with the international accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers. His financial background makes him well-suited to handle the financial aspects of injury and commercial litigation. His background enables him to decipher financial data, cut through complicated transactions, and analyze financial information in order to evaluate claims and prepare them for trial in an efficient, cost-effective manner. His keen understanding of financial information is extremely useful in fraud and other business tort cases as well.
- 1994, Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas and U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
LAW SCHOOL AND UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION
- University of Texas, J.D., 1994
- University of Texas, B.B.A., 1988 (in Accounting/Business Honors with honors) (Beta Alpha Psi, Beta Gamma Sigma)
PAST PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT
McClanahan and Clearman, LLP, Associate, 1999 – 2003
- Represented corporate and individual plaintiffs in complex commercial litigation
Vinson and Elkins, LLP, Associate, 1994 – 1999
- Represented corporate and individual clients in cases involving partnership and contract disputes, personal injury and property damages, professional malpractice, securities fraud, antitrust and other complex litigation
PricewaterhouseCoopers, L.L.P., 1988 – 1991
- Directed the audit field work in a variety of client assignments, often concurrently, as a supervising member of the audit staff and resolved technical accounting and auditing issues
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating
- Charter Life Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Graduate, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Pro Bono College of State Bar of Texas
- Acquired Certified Public Accountant Certificate
- State Bar of Texas (Member, Professionalism Committee, 2007-2013)
- Houston Bar Association (Chair and Council, Commercial and Consumer Law Section, 2005-2007; Council, Litigation Section, 2012-2015; Professionalism Committee, 2016, Houston Lawyer Referral Service Committee, 2016)
- Volunteer, Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Past Director and Member, Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics
- Texas Board of Law Examiners
- Elder, City of Refuge Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Past Board Member, Forge for Families
- Former Chair, KIPP Liberation Middle School Advisory Board