Dwaine M. Massey
Contact Me: 346-800-6101
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Business Torts
- Insurance Bad Faith Claims
- Covenants not to Compete
- Partnership Disputes
- Commercial Real Estate Disputes
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death Claims
Dwaine Massey, founder of Massey Law Firm, represents plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of cases including contract, commercial, fiduciary duty, fraud and corporate-governance cases.
Having tried more than 25 cases to verdict, including one selected as one of Verdict Search's Top Texas Verdicts in 2012, Mr. Massey is an experienced trial lawyer. Mr. Massey has handled hundreds of other cases, resolving most through summary disposition or favorable settlement.
Prior to forming the firm, Mr. Massey spent three years with a successful litigation boutique involved in high-stakes commercial litigation, generally for the plaintiff. While there, he worked on numerous commercial and business litigation cases, including class actions, securities and RICO matters for individual and corporate clients.
Starting his legal career with a large national firm, Mr. Massey represented both plaintiffs and defendants from commercial collections to antitrust and securities fraud class actions. While there, he represented some of the firm's major health care, accounting, insurance and oil and gas industry clients on both sides of the docket.
Before law school, Mr. Massey worked as a Certified Public Accountant with an international accounting firm. His financial background makes him well-suited to handle the financial aspects of business and commercial litigation. His background enables him to decipher financial data, cut through complicated transactions, and analyze financial information in order to evaluate claims and prepare them for trial in an efficient, cost-effective manner. His keen understanding of financial information is extremely useful in fraud and other business tort cases as well.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- Dallas Theological Seminary
- M.A., Biblical Studies
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.B.A., Accounting/Business Honors
- Honors: Beta Alpha Psi, Beta Gamma Sigma
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Sewing v. Bowman , 371 S.W.2d 321, 2012, Tex. App. - Houston [1st Dist.] 2012, pet. dism'd
- Bolton v. City of Dallas, 472 F.3d 261, 2006, 5th Cir. (Tex.)
- Sandwich Chef of Texas, Inc. v. Reliance Nat. Indem. Ins. Co, 319 F.3d 205, 2003, 5th Cir.(Tex.)
- Mayo v. Hartford Life Ins. Co., 220 F.Supp.2d 714, 2002, S.D.Tex.
- DeLeon v. Lloyd's London, Certain Underwriters, 259 F.3d 344, 2001, 5th Cir.(Tex.)
- Efting v. Tokai Corp., 75 F.Supp.2d 1006, 1999, W.D. Mo.
- Delgado v. Methodist Hosp., 936 S.W.2d 479, 1996, Tex. App. - Houston [14th Dist.] 1996, no writ
- Texas Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Board Certified, Personal Injury Trial Law -- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating
- Charter Life Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Past Board Member, Forge for Families
- Former Chair, KIPP Liberation Middle School Advisory Board
- Volunteer, Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
Fraternities or Sororities
- Alpha Phi Alpha
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Pattern Jury Charge Committee - Business, Consumer & Employment, June 2019 to present
- State Bar of Texas, Board of Law Examiners, August 2017 to present
- State Bar of Texas, Professionalism Committee, Member, 2007 to 2013
- Houston Bar Association, Commercial and Consumer Law Section, Chair and Council, 2005 to 2007
- Houston Bar Association, Litigation Section, Council, 2012 to 2015
- Houston Bar Association, Professionalism Committee, 2016 to 2018
- Houston Bar Association, Houston Lawyer Referral Service Committee, 2015 to 2018
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Past Director and Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics